18 August 2010

And I will learn how to do BOTH at the SAME TIME

I enjoy learning new things. It's very fulfilling. And I realize that I really haven't learned to do anything new in a while. The last fresh thing I really picked up was Photoshop. And that was almost a year ago! So I started thinking of what I'd like to learn. And I came up with two things.

The first is something I've wanted to learn for a while, but have had a lot of trouble ever finding time to do at all.


Longboarding. Two of my friends, Uillio and Dormy (nick names) are both fantastic skaters. Now, I'm the kind of person that falls flat on his back the minute he gingerly steps foot on a skateboard. But I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to borrow Dormy's long board for five wonderful minutes in the park one day. This was probably around May, and I was hanging out with the multitude of people in the park. Uillio and Dormy come rolling down the road that runs through the park. One end of this hill is on a long, slightly steep road. Just because I had the "I CAN DO IT" feeling in my head, I grabbed Dormy's long board as I simultaneously asked for his permission. I run most of the way up the hill, hop on the board, and go. I zoom down the hill expertly not falling off the board as I go, and go around the park on the paved walkway. Along the way, I shout "I'M DOIN' IT!" To random people I don't know. For about five minutes, I just keep going around and around, until Dormy asked for his board back. I dismount, making my first long boarding run a complete success. It was at this point I realized I wanted to really learn how to long board.

The problem is, though. I don't have a long board. So if I want to learn before I actually get on, I must use Dormy's or Uillio's. And making plans to hang out with them is surprisingly tough. A good thing is, though, I've been hanging out with a friend of mine more, named Dakota. He also long boards, and says he'd let me borrow his second board if I wanted to learn. So if I can just settle that with him, I'm good to go.

The second thing I want to learn isn't something I've ever done. I realized just a few days ago, that I am surrounded by music in my everyday life. I work at a music caffe, all of my friends play instruments, and when I'm alone, I'm constantly listening to music. I'm also sick of not being able to say "yes" when asked if I play an instrument.

This is why I want to learn to play bass guitar. I've never known how to play an instrument, but always wanted to. I feel like if I could play any string instrument, it would be the bass. I'm good with beats, and patterns. I feel like I could lay down a good bass line. Also, people say it's an easy instrument to learn, which would be good for me, seeing as how I've failed at every other instrument I tried to learn. I also have two best friends with bass guitars that I could possibly borrow if I were to take lessons first.

However, as usual, I'm having trouble committing to this. If I'm going to learn, I'd need lessons, and a bass, and those both cost money. Money that I'm not getting from any real job. I'm still not sure how I'd do it.


Despite unsureness' about either learning experience, I would be very happy if I knew how to properly longboard, or if I knew how to play bass guitar.

1 Ramblings:

Isaac said...

I cant even longboard o.0